Have you ever been in just the right place at just right the time to allow you to avert disaster? This just happened to me, and I can’t tell you how grateful I am. I haven’t been home much this week and in addition to that, the weather has been mostly rainy or overcast, but today I had some time to spend at home and even though the sun is shining and it is a beautiful day, I decided to sit on my family room couch and try to finish some embroidery on knit gloves that I’ve been wanting to show you. So I found a favorite old but not that old movie on TV, Moonstruck, and started to get to work.
The room I was sitting in has a Southern exposure; it gets lots of sun. I was making progress on my embroidery and enjoying the movie, when I started to smell … smoked salmon. I thought that was odd. I didn’t have any smoked salmon in the house, so I turned toward the side window to see if my neighbors were barbecuing and that’s when I noticed that a large snow globe on the table behind the couch was causing a hole to burn in my daughter’s woven wood knitting basket. I think the flames were just about to start. You can see how far the burning got in the photo above. The worse “what if” to consider was that my cat was with me on the couch when this was happening. If I hadn’t been there to stop the burning and we’d lost him in a fire I’m not sure I could ever forgive myself.
So please be careful about where you place your snow globes. Remember that they can have the same effect as a magnifying glass when in the sun, i.e. cause things to burn! From now on this gentle giant will reside in one of the darker rooms in the house.